CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 17, 2008

Houskeeping by Marilynne Robinson

This was not what I was expecting. It is a book about two sisters and their difficult childhood. As many of you know I hate the current fashion of depressing fiction about horrible abusive lives. It sounds like this book falls into that category- but it didn't really. It was beautifully written. One of those books you find yourself reading passages out loud just because the language is so beautiful. And the situation of their childhood is described but not is stupefying detail. And so much like life most of the things that happen to these girls is just life and inadequate people doing their best for the two little girls- it just isn't enough. I was surprised by the ending and a little befuddled by the main characters progression and would love some one else to read it so we can discuss, because I am still turning it over in my mind.

0 comments: