CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines by Gail Collins

So while looking for a biography about Margret Fuller (with no luck) the librarian sent me to the Feminist/women's history shelf. I was a little surprised that I had read most of the books they had and a little disappointed they had so few. But I found this gem. It is wonderful and all of you should read it. Part way through I thought to myself this book is very good- but so far it is only a review of things I already know. And what is with the obsession with menstruation. Then I thought gee this book really needs a chapter about the Grimke sisters- what was that book I read before that had a good chapter about them? And then there was a chapter about the Grimke sisters- and then I realized this was the book I had read before. No wonder it seemed like a review of things I already knew! (This was about pg 200) I finished the book- because I really did enjoy reading it and it was just as enjoyable the second time. I know that 600 pages can seem like a lot but it is really good and just flies by. Also you can just pick it up and read the sections you find interesting- Say Andrea only wants to read about Calamity Jane's depressing real life- easy to do. I can't recommend this book highly enough. I loved it- both times I read it. I am thinking about picking it for my online book club.

0 comments: