CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Rise and Fall of Alexandria Birthplace of the Modern World by Justin Pollard and Howard Reid

I loved this book. I was horrified by haw little I know about ancient history. While reading this and Justinian's Flea (which I think I already reviewed) I kept saying to Alma "did you know......" which of course he already kind of knew- stupid know it all history majors. I am still shocked at my education that this area of history was so woefully left untouched. Didn't I take a world History class in High School- how come the only thing I remember is reading All Quiet on the Western Front and my strange teacher going on and on about how in Ireland protestants wear orange and unless we were Catholic we shouldn't wear green on St Patrick's Day. How is this all I remember- and I was in the advanced class. Oh and for some inexplicable reason I left class a lot to work on some kind of poetry compilation of poetry from different historical times. I did this in place of learning anything about Greek or Roman history?!?!?!?! And why I ask you why did no one tell me about the Visigoths? Anyways the book is very informative and interesting a really worth reading and I am now a little less uninformed. I will be reading more ancient history as I hate not to be a know it all in any subject- any suggestions?

0 comments: