CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 19, 2008

1984 by George Orwell

Well I have decided to read along with Marika's Sr. English class. This was the first book of there year. I don't think that I have read it since high school. It is just as depressing as I remembered it. I think that the doublespeak is so disturbing- and yet how many things are like it in our world today. I have always felt that the book looses some of its power in the last 50 pages- disturbing scenes of torture and capitulation- yet for me the neighbor and the doublespeak excerpt are so much more frightening in their own ways. The neighbor with his blind zeal and the linguist with his intellectual devotion to the party. I was also intrigued by how important it was to the party to destroy families. Only with families torn apart could the party truly control. Well I think that it is a book worth rereading- but I probably won't reread it for another decade.

0 comments: