CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Legacy of the Dead; The Murder Stone; and Watchers of Time by Charles Todd

Well Laura introduced me to this mystery writer and gave me his first three books earlier this year. I am generally not a mystery fan, but I really liked these. The detective is a inspector returned from WWI with some severe PTSD. He struggles with and at times accepts his demon while he solves cases in his own curious manner. Wracked with self doubt and hatred he makes for a fascinating character. The mysteries are good as well, but I am not a mystery reader generally. Currently my two favorites are Legacy of the Dead in which he tries to save Hamish's fiance and Murder Stone which isn't really part of the series and stars a female sleuth. Very fun reads, fast, not to demanding. I have 5 more by my bed waiting to be read.

***Interestingly some of my very favorite books recently have been another series of mysteries set in post WWI England. Masie Dobbs in a nurse/psychologist/private detective with her own demons as well. Of the two series I fell that this one is superior. In Masie's books I felt the sorrow and pain of a generation decimated by war more deeply. While she does not have a Scottish man living in her head I feel like her background and outlook are more fascinating and unique. Hopefully there will be another in this series as I am refusing to do reviews of books I have read in the past. This isn't a review merely commentary on the genre. Right?

0 comments: