CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Criss Cross by Lynne Raye Perkins

So I found this book in a pile of Becky's books and thought it looked cute, and maybe a little familiar. I also thought it was odd that I hadn't read it as I read all the Newberry award winners. And three pages in I realized I had read it, but had absolutely no idea about what happened in it. Usually as you reread things you remember the out comes of the plot or major twists in the story- but my mind was a complete blank other than a general feeling of pleasantness.

And when I finished it I realized why. The book is utterly charming, well written, and sweet. BUT lacks in any way a plot, dramatic climax, or really story at all. It is more like a snapshot of several teens summer (I think in the 70s). And like most summers it starts out with all sorts of promise of romance and adventure and slowly peters out in the reality of chores, lazy summer afternoons and missed opportunities. There are many different potential plots started but true to life things just never quite gel together and slowly the bright beginnings fade away.

This review I realize sounds negative- but it really isn't. This book is a wonderfully written description about a regular summer- just your average regular summer with your average regular kids. Nor plot twists, no dramatic climaxes. The romance is just in your head, things don't turn out quite as you hoped, and sometimes the lights at the used car lot are the most picturesque thing you've seen that week. So over all I recommend the book- but ask me what it was about next week and I may not be able to answer that question.

0 comments: