CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just a few left in the Pile

I know I am missing tons and tons of books- there are probably another handful lurking under the bead. But I will never remember all the books I have read because I have the worst memory ever. The minute you ask me what we are reading and my brain turns to mush and I can't remember a single book I have read since 6th grade. And all that come out of my mouth is "Uhhh Witch of Blackbird Pond?


I Read the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan and loved them. I love that they were full of adventure- for the boys and girls. And yet it wasn't that obnoxious pushy kind of girl book- because it is really about a boy - and his friends both boys and girls. Anyways- I loved this series and Kathy- I think that your kids would really like them too. All of my nieces and nephews and siblings have read them and they were a big hit. Lots of fun. Just writing this makes me want to reread them- I think I will.

Good Behavior by Molly Keane- This was another of my Irish books- only this one I quite liked. It is dark too- I don't really know why it doesn't bother me. I think when the book is dark but the subject is interesting and thought provoking I can still enjoy the pain and darkness- but It has been too long to remember really why one I liked and not the other. This is a book about a family crumbeling apart but trying to keep up appearances.

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. Alma got this book after I read a review of it and I of course had to read it too. I really like his writing and liked this book a lot. It is about his experience of trying to follow the bible literally for a year. What could be a cynical mockery of others religious beliefs some how just avoids that pit fall. He still finds the humor in the attempt of living the Old Testament. During this experiment he meets many orthodox people. And the book conveys humor, and respect at the same time at what to us modern readers seem strange and unusual practices. What starts as a attempt at a light hearted spoof still has a heart and it is interesting to watch the author find a connection to his own spirituality.

Bess of Hardwick; Empire Builder by Mary S. Lovell. I really like books about unusual and strong women and this one doesn't disappoint. Bess was an amazing woman that lived through the reign of Henry the VIII and Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. I tumultuous time. And some how Bess survives and thrives. Many of her acquaintances and even dear friends lose their lives or fortunes at the whims of the Royals but Bess is a brilliant politician who is able to ride the waves of the time and amass one of the greatest fortunes of her time- and by far for a woman of her time it is quite extraordinary. And it was her fortune separate from her husbands. It is also interesting to read about the imprisonment of Mary Queen of Scots from the perspective of her keepers- and the way this destroyed their marriage. I highly recommend this book.

Another interesting book about an unusual woman is the Ordeal of Elizabeth Marsh; A Women in World History by Linda Colley. This is about an eighteenth century woman who loved all over the world (she was captured by white slave traders!). If you read her life's story in fiction it would seem over the top and unbelievable and it would also have a better romance. But this is a very interesting book- I just wish the authors writing skills matched the drama of the story since it can be quite a slog. I got through those portions thinking about how I would write this story as a trashy romance novel. But if you like history from a woman's perspective I think you will like this one.

Marie Therese The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter by Susan Nagel. I got this one when we were at Versailles (which we didn't love). I read this when we got home. The first half of the book was much more interesting than the second half. I kind of liked it but didn't love it.

I feel like I should have pictures but that is too much work.

0 comments: