CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

Oliver Sacks is another author I will read anything by- but thinking about it I don't think I have ever really read Awakenings- the book that made him famous. (Well I read it in Jr High but that was before I really discovered Sacks and therefore don't count it.) I also recommend anything written by him. He is a neurologist who writes about the wonders of the mind and the amazing feats and defects it is capable of. this particular book is about the mind and music- There are all kinds of facinating chapters- why the Chinese have many more people with perfect pitch, musical hallucinations, people who see a different color for every note, musics relation to movement disorders like Parkinson's, music and depression. This is just a s mall sampeling of the topics. I highly recommend this for anyone who loves music or whi is interested in the workings of the mind. But if you could only read one Oliver Sacks I would have to say try An Anthropologist on Mars.

0 comments: